We’ve all suffered the dreaded mid-afternoon (or morning) munchies. If you’re unprepared, before you know it the vending machine is beckoning, or your colleague’s tempting you out to the bakers or convience shop. Stop! Avoid committing snack suicide, read our list of healthy ideas. You’ll never find yourself up snack creek without a paddle again.
The quick and easy
The key to becoming a successful snacker is preparation. But that doesn’t have to mean hours of meal prep and endless stacks of Tupperware. Here are a few quick and easy options to throw in your gym bag or desk draw to hand on hand when hunger strikes:
- Seeds and nuts (walnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews, macadamias)
- Nut butters – when buying look for 100% nuts or you can make your own.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Smoked salmon
- Protein shakes / bars
- Cold, sliced meat
- Fresh and dried fruit (berries are a good choice)
- Veggies (celery, cucumbers, peppers, cherry tomatoes, etc)
- Sauerkraut – great for gut health
- Dried seaweed
- Quality dark chocolate – in moderation
For all dairy eaters out there:
- High quality cheese
- Full-fat yogurt
- Leftovers (cold bacon, chicken drumstick, steak and just about anything else from the night before)
Leftovers (cold meats, just about anything else from the night before) are great if you have a little more time on your hands and are a little more substantial.